Sunday, January 26, 2014

Obsessive Compulsive Book-Collecting Disorder

I have a bit of a problem when it comes to my book-collecting habits. No matter how many times I tell myself, No, you can't buy that book or You already have ten books checked out from the library! Do you really need another? I can never stop myself from adding to my constantly growing pile of books. The good thing about this is that I always have a plethora of books to choose from. The bad thing about this is...I always have a plethora of books to choose from.

With all the books I have checked out from the library, plus all the unread books already on my shelves, it's usually next to impossible for me to choose what to read next. The minute I get my hands on one book that I want, there is always another book that catches my eye. It's like watching previews at the movie theater; by the time I've sat through fifteen minutes of trailers, I'm so excited about the movies that are eventually coming out that I've all but forgotten the movie I initially came to see.

Maybe the answer is to stay off Goodreads. Or impose a ban on all trips to the library and bookstore until I've finished the books I already have. The bookstore ban is certainly feasible, with a little--okay, a lot--of self-control, but banning myself from the library is more challenging. Because at some point, I will have go to the library to return the materials I've already checked out and avoid being deemed, as my dad calls it, a "library felon." And while I'm there, I might as well have a peek to see if there's anything that catches my eye. It would save me a later trip...which would save on gas...which would help the environment...which means I'd be doing my part to save the planet. It's sound reasoning, right?

So, do any of you suffer from the same book-collecting addiction as me? Do you have to employ a buddy system on outings to the library or bookstore so that you have someone there to be the voice of reason and save you from your insatiable need for more books? Or do you have amazing self-control when it comes to buying books?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read every single one and they brighten my day. While I may not be able to respond to all comments, I do make an effort to visit your blogs if you include a link! :)