Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: My Fall TBR




There are so many awesome books I'm looking forward to reading this fall! 





An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson – Eeep, this book comes out one week from today, and I am so excited, you guys! I have been absolutely dying to read AEOR ever since first seeing the gorgeous cover art by Charlie Bowater (who has done some equally fabulous art for the ACOTAR series, in case you didn't know). The premise sounds so magical, and I am totally ready to be swept up into another faerie fantasy world!

Hiddensee: A Tale of the Once and Future Nutcracker by Gregory Maguire – I've never read a Gregory Maguire book before, despite the popularity of Wicked, but I am really intrigued by Hiddensee, which promises to be an origin story of the toymaker Drosselmeier and the enchanted Nutcracker. I love The Nutcracker ballet––it's been one of my favorite Christmas traditions since I was a little girl––so I can't wait to read a new, perhaps more grown-up, version of that story.

Berserker by Emmy Laybourne – So many of the fall new releases this year have gorgeous covers, and Berserker is no exception. Even though this one sounds like it's a little outside my normally preferred genres (I'm not a huge fan of stories set in the Wild West), the mash-up of that world with Viking mythology certainly sounds original!

That Inevitable Victorian Thing by E.K. Johnston – I absolutely loved BBC's Victoria miniseries that was on TV earlier this year, so this alternative history novel about a descendant of Queen Victoria sounds pretty cool!

The Last Namsara by Kristen Ciccarelli – I just added this book to my TBR today; up until now I'd avoided it because honestly ... I just really, really hate the cover. And for better or for worse, I am definitely a person for whom the cover plays a major factor in determining whether or not I pick up the book to read the summary. I know, I know, it's bad! But I'm old and set in my ways, haha. I probably wouldn't have looked into this book at all if I hadn't seen a giveaway for the ARC by chance on Twitter (they totally should've gone with the ARC cover; so much prettier!). Anyway, seeing the ARC was what finally made me decide to read the summary, and oh my gosh, this sounds so good!


The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden – I finally snagged a paperback copy of this while checking out Quail Ridge Books in Raleigh before the Tower of Dawn event a couple weeks ago. It's been on my TBR list for a while, and I'm excited to read it, especially since I've been on a fairy tale retelling kick lately.

Daughter of the Burning City by Amanda Foody – I got this book as part of the July Unicorn Crate, but of course I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. But maybe that's for the best, because a story about a dark traveling circus sounds like the perfect October read!

The Falconer by Elizabeth May – Yes, the majority of the books on this list are about faeries. Your point? :P

The Great Hunt by Wendy Higgins – ... or they're fairy tale retellings. Oh well!

The Last Magician by Lisa Maxwell – Picked this up over the weekend when I went out to grab a copy of Night of Cake and Puppets by Laini Taylor. It was an impulse buy, because this book really hadn't been on my radar, but after reading the summary and finding out it was about time-traveling magicians, I decided to give it a try.





8 comments:

  1. 'Ravens' does have a beautiful cover! I've been seeing it around the blogosphere as a book that seems to be getting a lot of hype. Hope it's a grand read. Oh, and The Falconer is one I've been curious about too, but never did pick up. Happy TBR-ing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy these books. I didn't get on with The Falconer, but I hope you have a better reading experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Berserker has me really curious. I might have to get that one. Plus I haven't read Emmy Laybourne but have heard good things.

    Daughter of the Burning City has such an amazing cover. And The Great hunt does too, really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried reading Daughter of the Burning City, but unfortunately it wasn’t for me, at least not at this time. I have been really in a mood for nonfiction, which might explain why I had troubles with The Daughter of the Burning City. I have a feeling I might pick it up later, though, and finish reading it.

    I have The Bear and the Nightingale on my iPad ready to be read, I’m just waiting for the right mood to do it.

    I hope you enjoy all of these! :) happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome picks! There are so many fall releases I am excited about and so many series I want to continue/start!

    Happy Reading!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs
    My Fall TBR picks

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Bear and the Nightingale sounds really good. Thanks for the recommendation.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really interested in Daughter of the Burning City and The Hunt. Looks like you have a great bunch of books to read. I've heard good things about a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An Enchantment of Ravens looks so good! And Daughter of The Burning City was on my list this week too :)
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/09/19/top-ten-tuesday-125/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read every single one and they brighten my day. While I may not be able to respond to all comments, I do make an effort to visit your blogs if you include a link! :)