Sunday, December 3, 2017

Reading Manga by Moonlight: Rereading Sailor Moon

Thanks to my awesome #TBTBSanta, Emma, for the adorable Sailor Moon Funko!

Like a lot of '90s kids, I grew up watching Sailor Moon, and she was one of the first kick-ass heroines I was introduced to (though, in all honesty, I think five-year-old me was waaaay more interested in flowy dress-wearing, handsome prince-winning Princess Serenity than her modern-day evil-fighting counterpart). Still, I'm absolutely positive that watching Sailor Moon as a kid is what has made me so interested in magical stories with awesome heroines at their hearts.



So why am I talking about Sailor Moon? Well, I'm trying desperately to complete my Goodreads challenge of 40 books, and with December being such a busy month, it's prooobably not likely that I'm going to have time to read eight more novels before the year's over. So, instead of stressing myself out by trying to cram in a bunch of long novels I won't end up finishing, I've decided to do something I haven't done in a while ... something a little more fun, and easier to fit into the craziness of the holiday season. 

I'm going to reread the Sailor Moon manga series!


I first read it as a middle schooler, and it blew my mind, you guys. I'd seen part of the American dub as a little kid, as well as the three movies, but it wasn't until they started playing the anime on TV before school when I was in seventh grade that I realized it was not only a five-season series but also had an entire manga series too (thank you, Internet!). Luckily my public library had the whole series in their catalog, so I checked out as many as I could in one trip and breezed through it. 

To make my reread even more fun, I'm going to live tweeting as I go along, and I'll probably do some longer reactions posts too. If there are any other Sailor Moon fans out there itching to reread the series, or maybe even read it for the first time, I'd love to have you join me! This is going to be really informal, though, and I don't have a set timeframe for when I'll get to each volume. If you want to follow my progress or read along, I'll be tweeting with the hashtag #SailorMoonReread.

Even if you don't plan on reading along this time around, you can still fangirl with me in the comments! Tell me, who's your favorite sailor scout/senshi? Do you prefer the anime to the manga or vice versa? Have a favorite version of the anime (dubbed, subbed, original, or reboot)? Let's talk!

In the name of the moon,




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read every single one and they brighten my day. While I may not be able to respond to all comments, I do make an effort to visit your blogs if you include a link! :)