Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Countdown to Christmas: Six Days - Top Ten Books I Hope Santa Brings


Christmas is my favorite time of year, so to get festive and celebrate the week leading up to it, I'm doing a Countdown to Christmas series all this week! Today's topic coincides with the topic for The Broke and the Bookish's Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I Hope Santa Brings.


I don't really ask for many books at Christmas time because I lack the self-control to keep myself from buying the ones I really, really want. So usually when I ask for books for Christmas, they're ones that I wouldn't normally buy for myself. 


Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban illustrated editions

In my noble quest to collect all the editions of Harry Potter, I definitely had to ask for the illustrated versions!


The Snow Queen and Other Winter Tales
I love Barnes and Noble's collectible edition books. They're so gorgeous! I absolutely love the cover on this one, and I mainly asked for it because I wanted to read E. T. A. Hoffmann's "The Nutcracker and the Mouse King," which is the story the Nutcracker ballet is based on.


The Nine Kingdoms series by Lynn Kurland
I talked about Lynn Kurland a bit in my Christmas Songs Book Tag post. I started reading her historical romance series (de Piaget) earlier in the fall, and I've really enjoyed the ones I've read so far (each book can pretty much stand on its own, so I've been sticking to the strictly historical ones in the series; there are some volumes that involve time travel that I'm not so keen on). I'm really excited to start her fantasy series now.


Caraval by Stephanie Garber
I've been wanting to read Caraval for the longest time but have just never gotten around to it. I'm thinking it'll be a good magical fantasy to read while I've got some time off from work between Christmas and New Year's.


Ever the Hunted by Erin Summerill
Ever the Hunted is another fantasy I've been meaning to read for a while, and with the sequel just out, now seems like the perfect time to pick it up!


That's it! Like I said, I usually buy most of the books I really, really want myself, so my bookish wishlist was pretty small this year. Since I don't have ten books to list for TTT, I'll end this post with a little story about my favorite book I ever received for Christmas (though not from Santa).

When I was in the third grade, my teacher read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone to our class, and it was pretty much the only thing I talked about for the next two months (this was right around the time that the books were becoming really popular in the US). So, on Christmas Eve that year, my mom let me open a present that had come in the mail from my aunt. Inside was a book, and that book was ... you guessed it, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. It was my first ever copy of a Harry Potter book, and I was so excited!

Baby Alex, featuring HP and the Sorcerer's Stone and little sis

Well, that's all for today's Countdown to Christmas post! Be sure to come back tomorrow for day 3! In the meantime, tell me what books you're wishing for this year. Or, better yet, let me know what some of your favorites book were that you received as gifts (Christmas or otherwise). See you tomorrow!



4 comments:

  1. Ahh, what a sweet story! Did you stay up all night reading? I would have, for sure. I love the illustrated HP books too. They're gorgeous!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caraval was one of my favourite reads this year, so I hope you get that one! The illustrated editions of HP are gorgeous too.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/12/19/top-ten-tuesday-138/

    ReplyDelete
  3. How gorgeous is your blog!! I love it so much. I see SO MANY beautiful things on this list! I would honestly die to get any of these for Christmas! I saw the Fantastic Beasts illustrated book at my local bookstore the other day and browsed through it. It was so beautiful! But I still would prefer to get the other illustrated books in the Harry Potter series. A History of Magic looked gorgeous too. I just LOVE Jim Kay’s style and how intricate they are. It was just the new addition we needed to the Harry Potter fandom! It certainly enhances the experience, and it is so worth it.

    My TTT: https://bookslikewolves.wixsite.com/blog/single-post/2017/12/19/Blogmas-19-Books-I-Want-My-Future-Children-To-Read

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caraval sounds incredible! I got a copy out from the library a few weeks ago - I'm looking forward to reading it! *_*

    I hope you get some of the books on your list! <3

    My TTT post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read every single one and they brighten my day. While I may not be able to respond to all comments, I do make an effort to visit your blogs if you include a link! :)