Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Words/Topics That Will Make Me Pick Up A Book!


 Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
This week's topic:

Top Ten Words/Topics That Will Make Me Pick Up A Book
(Okay, technically this week's topic is top ten books about friendship...but after searching and searching through my Goodreads list, I discovered that most of the books I've read are more romance-centered than friendship-centered. So I'm improvising with a past topic.)

Words & Phrases Guaranteed to Make Me Pick Up A Book
  1. Romances described as "forbidden," "unlikely," "star-crossed": Like I said, my reading preferences are heavy on the romance, and the more fraught and angsty the romance, the better!
  2. "magical"/"fantastical"/"enchanting": As a girl who grew up with Harry Potter, I also tend to lean more toward books with fantasy elements.
  3. "otherworldly"/"supernatural": I'm obsessed with paranormal romance so any book with descriptions of an "otherworldly" character are definitely going to catch my attention.
  4. "secret"/"mysterious": Who doesn't love a book with a little mystery?
  5. "bookstore"/"books"/"bookish": I love it when a book features a main character who geeks out over books. I'm talking books like Fangirl or The Fault in Our Stars, where the whole time I'm thinking, "Yeah! This author really gets what it's like to be a book nerd!"
Topics
  1. "survival": Think The Hunger Games or The Road. Even though these stories scare the bejeezus out of me, I'm still fascinated by them.
  2. "vampires": Twilight has doomed me to forever be a fan of vampire stories. If a book's got "vampire" in the summary, I'm at least going to try out the first few chapters.
  3. "angels and demons": 3 and 4 sort of go hand-in-hand--I'm a sucker for stories about good versus evil, especially if they involve otherworldly beings.
  4. "good versus evil": Pretty much every epic story ever written has this theme somewhere in its core.
What are the words/topics that peek your interest when deciding what books to read?


5 comments:

  1. I suddenly thought I had done the wrong topic this week! I agree with the words that make you pick up a book, especially fantastical and enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this topic! I pretty much will read anything survival and dystopian. I love all your Book words, phrases, and topics. I would probably pick up most of those too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love survival books! I'm obsessed with dystopians, but if there's a dystopian with survival involved then I'm all for it. Great topic! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't see your post about changing your blog so posting a comment here :). Good for you! I have been working hard to updated my blog since last November, I'm even taking classes outside the book community to make sure my blog is readable for all (and to challenge myself). Book blogs have a unique feel, they are more personal journal/blogs than professional, a sweeping generalization.

    Now to the post, I'm learning to enjoy this genre but it's not my first choice. I struggle with suspending reality to this level but we are almost living in a total recall world right? Remember the TV in the mirror? HA

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read every single one and they brighten my day. While I may not be able to respond to all comments, I do make an effort to visit your blogs if you include a link! :)